Monday, October 1, 2012

Interview with the incredible Kimberly Krey!

Guys, I am so excited that Kimberly Krey's EVIE'S KNIGHT just released! I first met Kimberly at conferences, but I really got to know her when we spent three days at the same writing retreat. Kim is not only an amazing person, but she's an AMAZING writer. I've seen the lengths she goes to in order to perfect her manuscripts, and it's awe-inspiring.

And even better, she's here today! Hi, Kim! [holds out plate of cookies] Here, have a couple.  (You guys can have some, too-- I made tons! But careful. They're a little hot still.)
By Shantel Ruiz [CC-BY-2.0], via Wikimedia Commons
[Brushes cookie crumbs off fingers] Let's get on with the interview! Hm.... Let's have you be in....  this cool color that matches your cover, and I'll be in this cool color that matches my blog. :)

Okay, to keep it fun, take your age, add 12 (because your book releases in ‘12), divide by the number of kids you have, then add 5 (because that’s how many stars this book should get). Tell us what Evie’s Knight is about in that many words or less.

Wait. Are people going to know how old I am now? Uh-hem. The number’s seventeen, but I’ll do it in twelve. Here goes:


In Evie’s Knight, a young, virtuous romance conjures a truly wicked spell.

I know you are a perfectionist, and getting your craft just right is important to you. Can you tell us some of what you went through to get Evie’s Knight to its brilliantly shiny state?

It’s a grossly long story, so I’ll keep it short. I wrote Evie’s Knight in 2009. I went to my first writer’s meeting the night I received a rejection on my full MS, in which the agent suggested the MS “lacked polish.” Of course, she was right. I immersed myself in the writing world. Joined a critique group, went to conferences, read, read, read, and of course, rewrote and edited Evie’s Knight until I was happy with it. Glad I didn’t put it out there back in 2009; I had a lot to learn.

Someone once told me (or maybe I told them...) that you have a really sultry voice, and don’t even hide behind the pages when you’re reading kissy scenes out loud. Have you ever thought about recording your own audio book?

That makes me laugh and smile and almost blush all at once. The answer – no. I’ve never considered that. I think I’d be a bad actor, honestly. But I do like me some kissy scenes; not gonna lie.

Just for fun, give us some one sentence answers. What do you think about when there is nothing to think about?

Ways to get my kids to do their own laundry.

Ha! Good one! Are you superstitious about anything?

Not really, but I’m petrified of mean dogs and carry mace while I run for that very reason.

Me, too, Kim. Me, too. What is the strangest food you have ever eaten?

I’ve always prided myself on loving every food out there, but when I tried Kimchi I found my limit; it was like eating hot sauce on a dirty, rotten dishrag. Barf!

I've never eaten Kimchi before, but after that description.... let's just say it doesn't sound delicious. Do you know what is, though? THIS COVER!

Don't you love this cover? The cover gods totally smiled down here. (Unlike that ghostly person in the trees who appears to be doing something other than "smiling" down. ;))

Want to know more about Kimberly Krey? Check out these links:



Thanks for coming to hang out with us today, Kim! And huge congrats on the book release. 

13 comments:

Angela Cothran said...

Awesome interview! I totally feel like I'm losing out not knowing Kim in person. The book sounds awesome :)

Elizabeth Seckman said...

(Kim, you look much prettier working at your laptop than I do.)
Love the cover...looks like an excellent read!

Kimberly Krey said...

Well, thank you, Miss Peggy for having me! And for the mad props - I totally appreciate it! Not to mention the cookies; yum!
@ Elizabeth: It was a good day. I don't have a lot of them.
@ Angela: Thank you! Come to the next retreat and we'll get acquainted in no time! :)

Z said...

This book sounds super intriguing - I may have to slip a few extra dollars into the book budget this month...

Emily R. King said...

Fun interview! I look forward to reading this book.

I love that you carry mace with you while you run, Kim. :) Congrats!

Unknown said...

Ha! Great interview, ladies. Can't wait to meet you both at the next retreat! (you will be there, right?)

I'm laughing because I actually... really like Kimchi.
Bahahahahha! To each her own, I suppose. :)

Katie Dodge said...

You ladies make me miss you! See ya in a few weeks!!

Tammy Theriault said...

gotta put it on my list of books to read! lots of good comments!

Kimberly Krey said...

Thank you, ladies! And Julie, my sis-in-laws love it! LOVE! Which is how I came upon the great privilege of trying it out. Not my thing.

Libby said...

I like the conversational flow of the interview! Hope your kids do their laundry. Perhaps you can show them this post and shame them into it. :)

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Great interview! Love the cover! And if you figure out how to get your kids to do their laundry, please let me know! :)

Livia Peterson said...

Awesome cover! Woohoo for Kim! I've seen her name around the blogosphere a couple of times before! Great interview, too :)

John Waverly said...

"Ways to get my kids to do their own laundry."

If you succeed at this before they're in college, let me know.

Fun interview.