Tuesday, July 5, 2011

I've Got a Theory: Super Powers

I have a theory that EVERYONE has at least one Super Power.

And there are about a billion different super powers. I know people with Super Powers like being a baby whisperer, or having a massive aura of happiness, or magically making everything clean and organized, or to combine colors beautifully, or to remember everything read, or to STOP TIME. (I know. Jealous.) I even have a friend that has a Super Power for developing talents.

My point? There are LOTS of different kinds of Super Powers, and they are POWERFUL. (Otherwise, they wouldn't be called Super Powers. They'd be called LTICD. Lame Things I Can Do.)

My other point? That it's important to recognize your Super Power(s) and to appreciate them. Because if you're not grateful... Well, I have this other theory that says they'll go away.

Oh, and my other point is to use them. That's why you have them.

Have I ever mentioned how much I love fortune cookies? No?! Let's just say I don't think I could ever tire of reading fortune cookie fortunes. Super Powers are like that, too. I'LL NEVER TIRE OF HEARING ABOUT THEM. 

So... I'll tell you my Super Power if you tell me yours! I'll even illustrate mine. But you don't have to illustrate yours, because that's kinda hard to do in the comments.

Okay. So, everyone has this switch in their brain. When it's time to go to bed, you turn the switch off, and you go to sleep, right?

Easy as pie.
Except for one problem. The switch is at the VERY BACK of your brain.
And there's all this STUFF in the way. Things that you've stuck in your brain to worry about, and it's blocking your path. Family stuff, weeds in the flower beds, the leaky faucet, the to-do list, work / school, money issues, that book you've been reading, and that book you've been writing that you can't figure out / can't stop thinking about.

And that switch seems SO FAR AWAY. So you stop at each thing, and say in your most soothing voice, "Shh. Quiet down. It's time to go to bed now."

Except those little things are like two-year-olds, and they are anything BUT good at quieting down and going to bed. And there's always one or two that have eaten MORE SUGAR than a two-year-old should EVER have, so it's running around, jumping up and down, yelling "PAY ATTENTION TO ME!" and it keeps getting between you and the switch, and hours later, you're exhausted and hoarse, and you think you might die if the sugar high doesn't wear off soon. 

Deep breath.

Here's where my Super Power comes in. I have incredible leaping abilities! I'm even graceful. (See picture below for proof.) With my leaping powers, I can leap over all thoughts vying for my attention, and land RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE SWITCH.

And I can turn it off in under TWO MINUTES. I'm not kidding. See that little space under your desk? Give me a pillow and two minutes, and I can fall asleep even there. 

Pretty powerful, right?
Unless I'm trying to stay awake for a bit to work out the next scene I need to write, I love my Super Power.

So now it's your turn! Tell me. What's your Super Power?
.

13 comments:

Shelby said...

I would like to borrow your power. Not for me, though. It's for someone else. I promise I wouldn't over use it! As for myself, I would like the Super Power that allows you to come up with answers to all questions like 'What's your Super Power?' 'cause I'm comin' up pretty blank.....

Kyle said...

I totally agree Tammy! Except, its for me not someone else :) as for my super power.....

Kristine said...

That is an awesome super power. I don't know what mine is... maybe I need to think about it more.

Jessie Humphries said...

This is the cutest post and I love ur illustrations. U also have a super power of drawing the Cutest stick figures. My super power is remembering where stupid stuff gets left. For example, if my husband asks where his belt is he hasn't seen in awhile....I ask my brain...and somehow it knows. Weird.

Peggy Eddleman said...

Tammy and Kyle-- I totally understand you wanting to give my Super Power to someone else! I have a child who I'd give it to in a heartbeat.

Tammy-- Your Super Powers are varied and plentiful. But I'm going to go with An unparalleled ability to convert anyone to the Shiniest religion in the 'verse.

Kyle-- For your Super Power, I'm going to say, The ability to make any baby, elderly person, or mentally infirm feel like they are the coolest person on the planet.

Kristine-- I already listed one of your most powerful ones! You have a massive happiness aura that spills out to everyone around you.

Jessie-- Now that is one powerful Super Power! I wish I could channel that for a moment. I'm not sure where I left a very important, non-copyable key...

Winn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carterista said...

Well, according to a really great writer I happen to know who's initials might be P.E....My super powers are to "toss my hair and flash my smile stunning everyone around me" and I have "immunity to all smell warfare." Ring a bell???

Peggy Eddleman said...

Carterista-- Of course it rings a bell! And it makes me all kinds of giddy that you remember! And it wasn't just according to me. We all voted.

Laura Barnes said...

My husband has that super power. I'm not but my super power probably involves never being able to just sit. It means I accomplish a ton, but I can also never RELAX!

Nice blog! Glad I'm following :)

Peggy Eddleman said...

Laura-- I am actually INCREDIBLY jealous of everyone with that super power. You guys are amazing! And I'm glad you're following, too! :)

K. Marie Criddle said...

Hooooooooooooow did I miss this post? Your superpower is making me laugh, Peggy. And I LOVE the art! All in brain clouds...brilliant!

Peggy Eddleman said...

Aw, Marie. You're too kind! And I'll still always be jealous of your super powers. Like, all of them.

Allen said...

My super power to the ability to see the humor in the absurd. It’s not a great super power, and I’ll tell you why…There are not many people with this power, so the net result is me laughing at something and not being able to explain why.

As a solution I propose that we use your blog as a super power marketplace in which we can trade powers. Any takers?